Each slab platter of petrified wood from Neukomm Rock & Gem is hand-collected and processed. Petrified wood is a member of the quartz family. Contrary to popular belief, the wood has not actually become stone - only the form of the wood remains after the organic wood substance has been replaced with minerals. If wood, after death, is quickly covered with fine-grained sedimentary rock, what is left behind is a mineralogical record of near perfect proportions of the tree’s former incarnation. Growth patterns and rings, outer bark, and hollows can be preserved or enhanced during this process, revealing secrets of the trees set in stone. No two slabs are alike. Can be used for ornamental and practical applications.
Care and Use
- This is a natural stone product, therefore it possesses natural imperfections for you to love
- Can be used as a trivet, cheese & charcuterie platter, and/or other aesthetic centerpiece or accessory for your table and home
- Hand wash with hot, soapy water after each use
- Caution: Slippery when wet
- Refrigerator friendly; cool your petrified wood party platter down before serving cheese and charcuterie
- Use food grade oil to season stone periodically; stone may appear to become discolored with use and can be re-seasoned at any time, wipe off any excess oil before storing